At first glance, there are probably no two activities that would seem to be further apart than yoga and rock climbing. However, for people who can put their preconceived notions about both activities aside there are actually many ways that the two complement each other. For example, one thing that yoga shares with rock climbing is that practitioners of both strive to develop balance.
The other thing that yoga and rock climbing share is that practitioners of both seek to achieve clarity and concentration as they work to accomplish the goals each has set. Others ways that rock climbers benefit from yoga include:
- Increased core strength
- Great body awareness:
- Greater flexibility particularly in the hips, hamstrings and shoulders
- Increased blood flow
- More energy
Because many rock climbers have noticed how yoga helps benefits their performance, experts even recommended specific poses that are useful. Here are just few and how each benefits climbers.
- The Mountain: The most basic of yoga postures, this pose helps build overall strength and stillness.
- The Eagle: Standing with knees bent, one leg wrapped around another in a crouching position, this pose helps build balance and stretches the latissimus dorsi, trapezius, and deltoid muscles.
- The Warrior I: This pose increases balance and strengthens many lower body muscle groups.
- The Downward Dog: Dropping to the hands and knees and creating an arch with your posterior, this pose helps strength the lats and stretches the hamstrings.
- Half Moon Pose: This pose helps strength the legs and promotes overall balance.
- Seated Twist: The benefit to this pose is that it helps make twisting motions easier for climbers.
- Standing Forward Bend: This exercise helps build flexibility and loosens the hamstrings.
- Standing Splits: This pose helps build both leg and core strength which is crucial for rock climbers.
In short, yoga can help put you in the perfect condition for rock climbing. Many of our visitors participate in activities outside of climbing that complement and improve their abilities. This is because our Colorado adventure trips are a challenge to the whole body. Climbing takes an overall body awareness that few other sports do. Rock climbing near Denver is particularly inspiring as it is not only a whole body challenge but it also exposes our climbers to indescribably beautiful scenery. Few other sports provide both an excellent workout and at the same time expose its participants to the majestic beauty of Denver, Colorado.